We started inspecting the flooring, and we realized the rot had spread under this wall.
Now, you can see the floor, and just how OLD and dingy it was (minus the mud tracks from the dogs). I was never a fan of this wall, it was a wall to divide the fining room from the kitchen. The dog crates sat on it which you can see how gross the wall was from then sleeping there.
Jason had to cut 2-10's and sister them to the existing rotting joists. I didnt get good pictures of this, but basically, they're 30 inches long, and we had to put 8 of them in.
We ran into another problem - the old wood has shrunk, and we were using new wood. The new joists were too wide to fit where they needed to!
We ended up having to rip each joist to 8 inches, then use the level and screw them in that way. It seriously took us about 4 hours!
One joist went under a cabinet, so we had to make it 3 wide so we could screw the plywood to it.
We also put in cross braces where the new door would go.
At this point, we called Billy who was to come help after work, only to find out he was sick and in bed. Looks like we're hitting up youtube!
We had previously discussed just taking the wall down, but Jason wasn't a fan, so we decided it would stay.
Now, though, with the rot going under it, too, it had to be removed. YAY, ME!
I determined it wasn't load bearing, (thanks youtube) and told Jason it could go safely, so he took it out.
The dining room did not have double subfloor, so we were going to use a reducer there, and just have a step between the 2 rooms.
We had to make another trip to Home Depot and buy different plywood.
At this point, we're onto day 2, which also happened to be the coldest day of the winter, and our door was still not up. Thankfully, the plastic kept us warm!